Well, I’m officially on a salsa verde shredded meat kick. Last week, it was pork tacos with salsa verde and some chopped jalapenos. This week, it’s this shredded beef with an simple cilantro slaw on top. Both meats were cooked in the slow cooker. (Because I NEED my slow cooker these days…here’s why. After this week, I wish to never see a doctor’s office or hospital again. Sigh.)
I love the balance of flavors and textures in these tacos. Perfectly soft shredded beef, delightfully fresh crunch from the cabbage, plus wonderful flavor combinations from the lime, cilantro and salsa verde.
Also, flour or corn…it’s entirely up to you. I’m on a bit of a corn tortilla/street tacos kick these days, hence the use of corn tortillas for us. Reason: they are c.h.e.a.p. You can get a bag of 50 corn tortillas here in San Antonio for less than $2. Yes, please. Plus, they store well in the freezer…so I don’t have to worry about them going to waste. Win-win!
Finally, look at this guy! He can’t wait for the ‘leftovers’ that fall from the baby’s highchair
He almost got this taco off the counter. (That wouldn’t be the first time he’s attacked a taco that I’m photographing.)
Hope you enjoy these tacos as much as we did!
Salsa Verde Beef Street Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
Yield – 12 tacos, plus leftover beef
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 2-ish lb. chuck roast
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 12 oz. bag shredded cabbage or cole slaw mix
- Small bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp homemade or store bought vinaigrette
- Goat cheese or cotija cheese, for topping
- Other topping idea: sliced or diced avocado
- Place the beef in the base of the slow cooker and season with the ground cumin, salt and pepper. Pour the salsa verde over the beef.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Before serving, prepare the slaw in a mixing bowl by tossing together the slaw mix, chopped cilantro and vinaigrette.
- Assemble tacos by placing some shredded beef in the middle of the tortilla, and top with the slaw and some cheese.
- Serve Salsa Verde Beef Street Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and side of fresh fruit or veggies.