Super Simple Supper!
This is a one dish dinner.
(That brings up an important question…when you hear one dish dinner, do you think of it being a dinner that is SERVED in one dish, or COOKED in one dish?!)
So this is technically a one dish served dinner…as the whole meal is in one bowl. But it was cooked in 2 pots…a pot for the pasta, and a skillet for the sausage, then the veggies.
Would love to know you thoughts!
Now for the recipe…but be warned…it’s a $6 dinner! The key to this meal…it uses an expensive lean all natural sausage that costs nearly $5…but when paired with inexpensive pasta and veggies all from the garden, it’s not as terribly priced as it could be! It’s all about the balance!
Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Red Peppers
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 22 minutes
- 1 lb. Italian sausage ($4.85) WHAT?!? I know…this is the 100% all natural, grass fed sausage from the farmer’s market.
- 1 lb. Rigatoni pasta ($.79) Manager’s special
- 1/2 yellow onion ($.15)
- 1 red pepper, from the garden
- 1 green pepper, from the garden
- 1 banana pepper, from the garden
- 2 medium tomatoes, from the garden
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed ($.15)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese ($.25) Optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the sausage in a skillet. Once browned, place onto a plate with paper towels to drain/absorb the grease. Pour off any excess grease, leaving just a little to saute the veggies.
- While browning, start the pasta. Cook the rigatoni according to package directions. Set aside 1/3 cup pasta cooking water and drain.
- Chop all the veggies and crush the garlic. In the same skillet that you browned the sausage, saute the veggies for 5 to 7 minutes, or until peppers begin to soften.
- Toss the cooked rigatoni, the 1/3 cup pasta cooking water, browned sausage and the sauteed veggies in the saucepan or in a large mixing bowl. (Optional…sprinkle in some parmesan cheese.)
- Serve Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Red Peppers.