Several weeks ago I purchased a large pork tenderloin. I used part of it to make Spanish Stew, sliced off a few pork chops, and then left the remaining portion whole to cook in the slow cooker.
This is quite simple…I placed the roast fat side up in the slow cooker, topped it with some spicy BBQ sauce that Kelly sent me recently (long story…thanks Kelly!), as well as some brown sugar to counteract the heat. I also whisked in a little water into the BBQ sauce that fell into the bottom of the slow cooker. I’ve noticed that BBQ sauce sometimes burns in the slow cooker, and water helps it not do that!
And one final note about this recipe…don’t make this right before going out on a date with your husband! (Not that I speak from experience or anything!) We had this meal just before going to the Rock & Worship Road Show. I was not thinking at all…and felt terrible that my breath stank. But so did his…so all was well!
And in case you every find yourself in the same situation…here’s the advice I received for how to make the stinky onion breath disappear quickly!
Pulled Pork with Red Onions
- About 1 lb. pork tenderloin or pork roast ($1.99)
- About 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce (free, or $.75-ish)
- Optional – 1 Tbsp brown sugar ($.05)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced ($.40)
- Bread slices ($.50)
- Broccoli, steamed ($.99)
- Place the roast, fat side up, in a slow cooker. Pour the BBQ sauce over the top and whisk in some water if you prefer. (And brown sugar if you need it.)
- Set on low and cook for 8 hours. Once cooked, use two forks to pull the pork apart.
- Steam some broccoli.
- Serve the pulled pork on bread with red onion slices. Add a little extra BBQ sauce if you need it.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!