Here’s a pantry/freezer challenge meal that I made earlier this month. This was very much an experiment…
And when I make it again, I’d use Swiss cheese. Not Feta.
As part of making a little more room in the pantry and freezer, I have found myself rummaging through each every afternoon looking for something to concoct. Sometimes it’s an old recipe from the site, other times it’s using up the spaghetti sauce that I find.
And this meal was a concoction. I found Feta in the freezer. Cooked turkey bacon in the freezer. Onions in the cupboard and a red pepper in the fridge. Throw it all together…a breakfast for dinner.
Omelets with Caramelized Onions and Bacon Crumbles
Yield – 4 omelets
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes for onions, 5 minutes each omelet
- 2 white onions, sliced ($.40)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.03)
- 1 Tbsp sugar ($.01)
- 12 eggs, or 3 eggs per omelet ($1.19)
- 1/2 cup milk ($.05)
- Oil for the omelet pan ($.10)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled ($.20)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced ($1)
- Feta cheese, about 4 ounces ($1) Coupon for Atheno’s Feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh fruit as side dish, we had cantaloupe wedges ($.75)
- Place the onion slices in a skillet over low heat with the olive oil and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 30 minutes to caramelize the onions.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk with some salt and pepper.
- Add about 1-2 Tbsp oil to a small skillet or omelet pan. Cook the omelet. Add the Feta, bacon and red pepper to the middle before folding over to serve. (Omelet How To Photos here).
- Slide the omelet onto the serving plate and top with caramelized onions and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Omelets with Caramelized Onions and Bacon with side of fresh fruit.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!