Here’s a pantry/freezer challenge meal that I made earlier this month. This was very much an experiment…
And when I make it again, I’d use Swiss cheese. Not Feta.
As part of making a little more room in the pantry and freezer, I have found myself rummaging through each every afternoon looking for something to concoct. Sometimes it’s an old recipe from the site, other times it’s using up the spaghetti sauce that I find.
And this meal was a concoction. I found Feta in the freezer. Cooked turkey bacon in the freezer. Onions in the cupboard and a red pepper in the fridge. Throw it all together…a breakfast for dinner.
Omelets with Caramelized Onions and Bacon Crumbles
- 2 white onions ($.40) sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.03)
- 1 Tbsp sugar ($.01)
- 12 eggs ($1.19) or 3 eggs per omelet
- 1/2 cup milk ($.05)
- Oil for the omelet pan ($.10)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled ($.20)
- 1 red pepper ($1) seeded and diced
- 4 oz Feta cheese ($1) Coupon for Atheno's Feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh fruit as side dish, we had cantaloupe wedges ($.75)
- Place the onion slices in a skillet over low heat with the olive oil and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 30 minutes to caramelize the onions.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk with some salt and pepper.
- Add about 1-2 Tbsp oil to a small skillet or omelet pan. Cook the omelet. Add the Feta, bacon and red pepper to the middle before folding over to serve. (Omelet How To Photos here).
- Slide the omelet onto the serving plate and top with caramelized onions and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Omelets with Caramelized Onions and Bacon with side of fresh fruit.