This Ranchero Chicken is inspired by restaurants in and around San Antonio. I love this Ranchero sauce with chicken…and it’s great with enchiladas, on tostadas and over a pile of rice too!
It’s super quick to prepare and when cooking in the Instant Pot, it just takes a few minutes to have ready!
If you wanted to make this meal ahead and add this to the freezer, add everything minus the hot water to a freezer baggie and freeze. Thaw enough to get it out of the bag and you can cook it from partially frozen in the IP. It will take a little longer to come to pressure, and you’ll want to add 7-9 minutes to the cooking time. Just like that, dinner is ready in minutes from the freezer! (More on Freezer to Instant Pot meals here.)
Instant Pot Ranchero Chicken
Adapted from: Slow Cooker Ranchero Chicken
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 packet taco seasoning or 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Salt and pepper
- Side ideas: rice and beans or salad and veggies (for low carb)
- Whisk together the diced tomatoes with their juices and the tomato paste in the electric pressure cooker insert. Stir in the taco seasoning.
- Add the chicken breast, thighs, and the hot water to the sauce in the electric pressure cooker insert. Spoon the sauce over the top.
- Steam valve: Sealing.
- Cook on: Manual/High for 15 minutes.
- Release: Natural or Quick.
- Once cooked, pull apart the chicken with 2 forks.
- Cook rice, as directed.
- Prepare veggies.
- Serve Instant Pot Ranchero Chicken over rice with side of veggies.