I intended to make a beef roast with diced tomatoes in the slow cooker today. But had a little change in plans…I found a green tomato on the ground when sweeping through the garden last night. My first thought was to fry it up, but I wanted to do something different. I thought adding it in with the roast would bring a different flavor to the typical beef roast!
I thought the roast with the green tomatoes was delightful! The slow cooked green tomatoes gave the beefy a perfect tangy flavor…very unique!
So if you’ve got tomatoes growing in your garden, just take 1 large green one, slice it up and cook with a beef roast! You won’t be disappointed! I was pleasantly surprised by how well this little “food experiment” turned out!
(And I did strain and save the juices to use for beef stock!)
Slow Cooker Green Tomato Beef Roast
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours
- 1.6 lb. beef roast ($2.52) Bought this past trip on Manager’s Special
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and cracked pepper
- 1 green tomato, sliced (free from the garden)
- 6-8 basil leaves (free from the garden)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh parsley (free from the garden)
- 1 yellow squash (free from the garden)
- Bunch of green beans (free from the garden)
- Several slices of sourdough bread ($.35) Bought with $.69 manager’s special stickers, Omit if GF
- Butter and garlic salt (or jelly) ($.25)
**Serve brown rice instead of bread for a gluten free meal!
- Add beef roast to slow cooker with 1/2 cup of water. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Lay green tomato slices on top of the beef roast. Add basil leaves and parsley over the tomatoes. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- **Don’t want to heat up the kitchen. Put the slow cooker outside on the porch!
- Wash and slice squash into circles. Steam for 4-5 minutes in steamer or microwavable bowl covered with plastic.
- Wash and cut off stems from green beans. Steam for 4-5 minutes in steamer or microwavable bowl covered with plastic.
- Butter slices of sourdough bread and sprinkle with garlic salt. (I’ve been craving garlic bread lately!) I really think these would be better with jelly…but garlic bread sounded better to me tonight!
- Serve Green Tomato Beef Roast with Steamed Squash, Steamed Green Beans and Bread.