With the chicken breast and sweet potatoes on sale, there was no doubt this dish would come in under $5! It made a whole 9×13 pan with lots of leftovers!!! The Free Item coupon helped too 🙂
Ginger Sweet Potato Chicken Bake
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 2 large chicken breasts, about 1.25 lb ($2.21)
- Recently on sale for $1.77/lb
- 2 large sweet potatoes, about 1.5 lb ($1.02)
- Recently on sale for $.68/lb
- 1 15 oz can of pineapple pieces, in 100% pineapple juice (FREE) Used Free Item Coupon!
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil ($.10)
- 1 tsp ground ginger ($.10)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon ($.10)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice ($.40) Purchased 2 lb bag with $1 off coupon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Dice chicken breasts into 1/2 – 1 inch cubes. Helpful Hint: It’s easiest to cut chicken breasts while they are still partially frozen. I usually thaw mine about 75% of the way, making it much easier to cut. Cutting them while still completely frozen is really tough on the fingers. I don’t recommend that!
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Drain pineapple juice, reserving about 1/2 cup to use when cooking the rice.
- In large bowl, toss diced chicken breast, sweet potato pieces and pineapple piece. Add extra virgin olive oil, ground ginger, garlic powder, ground cinnamon and salt and pepper. Toss well. Transfer mixture to 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes uncovered. Remove and cover with foil, and then bake another 30-40 minutes. (This will prevent the sweet potatoes from drying out. I like them soft and moist!)
- In saucepan, cook brown rice as directed on packaging. I subsituted 1/2 cup of the liquid suggested on the package with the reserved pineapple juice. Brown rice takes longer to cook, so be sure to start this at the same time you put the chicken bake into the oven and they’ll both be ready at about the same time!
- Serve Ginger Sweet Potato Chicken Bake with side of brown rice.