With the chicken breast and sweet potatoes on sale, there was no doubt this dish would come in under $5!
It made a whole 9×13 pan with lots of leftovers!!!
Ginger Sweet Potato Chicken Bake
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 15 oz. can of pineapple pieces
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups brown rice side dish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Dice chicken breasts into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes. Helpful Hint: It's easiest to cut chicken breasts while they are still partially frozen. I usually thaw mine about 75% of the way, making it much easier to cut. Cutting them while still completely frozen is really tough on the fingers. I don't recommend that!
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Drain pineapple juice, reserving about 1/2 cup to use when cooking the rice.
- In large bowl, toss diced chicken breast, sweet potato pieces and pineapple piece. Add extra virgin olive oil, ground ginger, garlic powder, ground cinnamon and salt and pepper. Toss well. Transfer mixture to 9x13 baking dish.
yum! this is going on my list of things i want to make.
Michele @ Frugal Granola says
Oh, yummy! I’m definitely going to have to try this out next time we have sweet potatoes on hand!
wow Erin…how yum does that look! I’m going to have to try that!
Erin, I make a similar dish in the fall that uses chicken, sweet potatoes, apples, onions, and dried cranberries. I season with butter, maple syrup, and poultry seasoning. I’m looking forward to trying your spring version, it sounds really yummy!
That sounds scrumptious! Will have to add it to my fall line up 🙂
Kari @ How I Became a Fiscal Fussbudget says
Mmmmm seems yummy!!
I have pineapple, chicken and rice. We ate our last “cheap” sweet potato last week, so I’ll have to watch for another sale. This looks different, but yummy 🙂
Passover is here and I was looking for interesting recipes to make that we could eat that week without paste, rice or bread. I think this is going to be very good and we can eat it without the side of rice and it’s perfect, thank you!
I made this in the crock pot – worked great. I didn’t cube the chicken – it shreds wonderfully when cooked.
made this tonight for diner and everyone loved it. We also put some BBQ sauce on top and it was really good
Tried this tonight and really enjoyed it. It was so easy to put together and the house smelled fabulous while it was cooking.
Vikki C says
I am adding this to my monthly meal plan. I cannot wait to try it! I love sweet potatoes. I think I will use Julie’s idea and cook it in the crock pot b/c I hate dicing chicken.
Wonderful dish! I have just tried it for dinner and it is delicious.
I’m doing this right now for our pseudo-Thanksgiving dinner 🙂 (We can’t celebrate on Thanksgiving so we are doing it a day early). I’m very excited! Thanks!
Just made t – didn’t go over well with the family 🙁
The chicken had a weird pasty texture and the pinapple and sweet potato just really didn’t compliment each other the way you think they might.
I made this in my crockpot like a previous poster did, and added some chicken broth since there wasn’t much liquid. I thought it turned out pretty good, but I don’t know that I’ll be making it again because my hubby claims he doesn’t eat sweet potatoes. It didn’t need any rice with it though and was good just by itself. Also, it makes an excellent meal for baby when it’s pured. My little guy loved it. I ground up the leftovers and froze in ice cube trays for future meals.