Fifteen years ago when I bought my bread machine all I knew how to do with it was a buy a boxed mix, dump it in and press start. The problem with that is that prepared mixes are pretty expensive and they’re just not that easy to find anymore. These days we use it for all sorts of things like making pizza dough and cinnamon rolls, and for experimenting with different varieties of homemade bread like this yummy Cheesy Italian Herb Bread.
Cheesy Italian Herb Bread
Yield – 1 1/2 pound loaf
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 3 hours
- 1 1/8 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Add ingredients to your bread machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions, or you can follow these general guidelines.
- In the order listed above place the wet ingredients in the machine’s bread pan first, then the dry ingredients.
- After adding the bread flour make a small indentation in the middle for the yeast, then divide the butter into four parts and place a portion in each corner.
- Bake on the medium color setting.
(For those of you who don’t have a bread machine, I highly recommend getting one! Especially if you have a growing family.)