It’s been a busy day around here! To set the record straight, I did not risk my life and go out for diapers at CVS and Valentine’s pencils at Wags in this dreadful snow storm! I went before “it” hit. Just took me a few days to blog about it!
Here’s my marked down beef…And I had a coupon for it too! Coupons are ESSENTIAL to my $5 meals. Many of my meals would not be possible without coupons. I’m always on the lookout for coupons for the products I buy!
Slow Cooker Steak and Potatoes
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours on low
- 6 white potatoes ($.79)
- 1 lb cube steak ($3.07), Found package marked down and used a $1 coupon here
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce to marinate steak ($.25)
- 2 Broccoli Heads ($.75)
- Dollops of sour cream (optional, and not if GFCFSF) ($.10)
- Marinate cube steak with a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Cut potatoes into quarters. Place at base of slow cooker. Pour 1 cup of water over the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place marinated cube steak over the potatoes. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper. Set on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Steam broccoli in steamer for 3-4 minutes, until turns bright green.
- Serve steak with potatoes and broccoli. (Make some gravy with the juices if you are feeling ambitious!!!)
Here’s what happened with this meal…I loved the potatoes! Putting them under the steak allowed them to soak up all the yummy beef flavor. But, putting the steak on top left it much drier than I was hoping! Beef cooked in the slow cooker is typically soft and tender. But not this time. My “experiment” failed. Anyone with suggestions, would love to hear them!