Tonight’s dinner is straight out of the freezer!
Toss into pot. Stir occasionally. Eat!
Chicken Zucchini Stew on Rice
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil ($.06)
- 1 large zucchini, chopped ($1)
- 1 yellow zucchini, chopped ($1)
- 1 yellow summer squash, chopped ($1)
- 1 large green onion, chopped ($1)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped ($.10)
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped ($.10)
- About 2 cups of homemade chicken stock (free)
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken ($1.50)
- 2 tsp garlic powder ($.10)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup white rice ($.20) I would have preferred this with brown rice, but didn’t have time to wait 30 more minutes for it to cook! (See how to bake brown rice in the oven here.)
- 2 broccoli heads ($.50) Bought when on sale for $1/4…blanched and froze!
- To a large saucepan, add olive oil. Toss in the partially thawed chopped veggies. (Or fresh if you’re using fresh!) Saute for 6-7 minutes, or until are completely thawed.
- Add the chicken stock plus 1-2 cups of water. (Add enough water to cover all the veggies. It’s difficult to quantify the liquids in this recipe because the frozen veggies added quite a bit of liquid to the pot.) Add the shredded chicken.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I let mine cook down so it was pretty “thick” and more stew-like than soup-like.)
- In a smaller saucepan, add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add rice, return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Fluff rice with fork before serving.
- Steam the blanched broccoli for 4-5 minutes in stovetop steamer, or in a microwavable bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Serve Chicken Zucchini Stew over Rice with a side of Broccoli.
Cost $6.56 OOPS!
This dinner was a *smidge* over…but there were A.L.O.T. of leftovers…and it was LOVELY to have summer veggies in the DEAD of winter!