Starting next week, I’ll start to highlight the $5 Dinners that you all have been making in your kitchens! You all have come up with some stellar meals, and I can’t wait to share them!!!
Beefy Mac Soup
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes (60 min total if making the butternut squash)
- About 1 lb. ground chuck ($1.67) On sale this week for $1.67/lb!!!
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped ($.15)
- 6 cups of water
- 1 cup pasta noodles ($.15) Still using up my $.50 boxes of pasta!
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.59)
- 2 carrot sticks, peeled and diced ($.20)
- 1 celery stalk, diced ($.10)
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced (from the garden)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced (from a friend’s garden!) Thanks!!!
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($.75) I omitted this part to keep the soup dairy free, but think it would be a great addition!
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings ($.10)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large butternut squash ($1.11) On sale for $.49/lb the other week!
- 1 mini French loaf ($.20) This is the last of my manager’s special loaf breads!
- Butter and jam ($.20)
- Cook butternut squash.
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground chuck with the chopped onion. Drain and return to saucepan.
- To the ground chuck, add water, diced tomatoes, diced carrots, diced celery, diced peppers, and the Italian seasonings. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, and then add the pasta.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes and reduce heat to low until its time to serve. (Don’t let the soup “sit” too long on the stove, as the pasta will overcook and get mushy!)
- Slice and warm bread and serve with butter and jam.
- Serve Beefy Mac Soup with Butternut Squash and slices of French bread.
Cost $4.46 without the cheese, $5.21 with the cheese!