See that corn up there?!? The “summer price” of $.25/ear is here a bit early this year! I couldn’t help myself and snagged a few for this week. The boys L-O-V-E corn and I love watching them munch it off the corn. It’s sorta cute!
This *might* just become my new “go-to” meal. It’s way low maintenance…as long as you get it into the oven in time! It was delicious according to all 4 “table food eating” members of the family! Totally passed the “kid test!”
(Also, I would totally do this in the slow cooker, except I don’t like the way chicken breasts turn out when slow-cooked. They get a funny texture. And I’m not a fan!)
Baked Black Bean and Salsa Chicken
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 1 1.3 lb package chicken breasts ($2.32) Other chicken cuts would totally work!
- 1 1/2 cups salsa ($1) Bought recently on sale, plus store promotion and coupon
- 2 cups cooked black beans ($.40) (Or learn how to cook your own beans here.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin ($.05)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 4 ears corn ($1)
- Place the chicken breasts into an 8×8 inch glass baking dish. Pour the salsa over the top and then stir in the black beans, cumin and garlic powder. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Dice the chicken and mix it all up with the salsa and black beans.
- Prepare rice as directed on package.
- Remove husks and threads, then boil the ears of corn for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Serve Black Bean and Salsa Chicken on Rice with Corn Cobs.