See that corn up there?!?Â The “summer price” of $.25/ear is here a bit early this year!Â I couldn’t help myself and snagged a few for this week.Â The boys L-O-V-E corn and I love watching them munch it off the corn.Â It’s sorta cute!
This *might* just become my new “go-to” meal.Â It’s way low maintenance…as long as you get it into the oven in time!Â It was delicious according to all 4 “table food eating” members of the family!Â Totally passed the “kid test!”
(Also, I would totally do this in the slow cooker, except I don’t like the way chicken breasts turn out when slow-cooked. They get a funny texture. And I’m not a fan!)
Baked Black Bean and Salsa Chicken
- 1 1.3 lb package chicken breasts ($2.32) Other chicken cuts would totally work!
- 1 1/2 cups salsa ($1) Bought recently on sale, plus store promotion and coupon
- 2 cups cooked black beans ($.40)(Or learn how to cook your own beans here.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin ($.05)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 4 ears corn ($1)
- Place the chicken breasts into an 8x8 inch glass baking dish. Pour the salsa over the top and then stir in the black beans, cumin and garlic powder. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Dice the chicken and mix it all up with the salsa and black beans.
- Prepare rice as directed on package.
- Remove husks and threads, then boil the ears of corn for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Serve Black Bean and Salsa Chicken on Rice with Corn Cobs.