Y’all…I’m thrilled to be bringing another great recipe from HurstBeans, a longtime partner of $5 Dinners. We all know how delicious, filling and hearty beans can be…in fact, just this evening I was talking with the boys about how we’ll be enjoying many a beans-based meal in their lifetime…because they are bottomless pits. And beans fill bottomless pits well. And they do so without breaking the bank. When I run through the mental list of recipes for the book that I may or may not pen in the future (Feeding Teenage Boys on a Budget: A Satirical Look at an All Boys Dinner Table), the top 10 are beans-based.
I digress. Sorta.
Back to this recipe. I’ve taken the Hurst Beans’ Easter Ham & Beans and given it a little south Texas flair. In the form of poblano peppers and diced tomatoes and green chilies. Simple ingredients that get mixed right into the slow cooker, but they really give a fantastic pop of flavor to the beans and ham.
One of the things that I love about these Great Northern beans from Hurst Beans is that you don’t need to soak them before adding them to the slow cooker. The fact that you don’t have to remember to soak them ahead of time is a real sanity saver…for this mom of 4 bottomless pit boys, anyways!
This is the only recipe you’ll need to use up that leftover ham from your upcoming Easter meal.
Finally, I adore all the color in this dish. From white to red to deep green and orange. Nutrition and flavor FTW.
(Also, stay tuned for an upcoming giveaway! Details to come within the week!)
Zesty Easter Ham & Beans
Adapted from Hurst Beans’ Easter Ham & Beans
Yield – 6 to 8 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 1 package Hurst’s Great Northern HamBeens
- Leftover ham bone, with a good amount of meat still on the bone, or 3 cups diced ham
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish ideas: sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro
- Homemade or store bought rolls
- Place all the ingredients, except the garnishes and rolls!, in the slow cooker. Stir gently and set on low and cook for 8 hours. (High for 5 hours is an option as well!)
- Prepare rolls if necessary.
- To serve, if using a ham bone, remove the bone and pull off all the ham meat and serve in the soup. Season to taste and garnish with sour cream or cilantro.
- Serve Zesty Easter Ham & Beans with dinner rolls.