I love playing with pancake batters. I recently made some Whole Wheat Zucchini Carrot Pancakes, and decided to take them to the next level with a cream cheese-maple syrup.
And oh. oh. oh. my. word.
Yes…these are safe to call dinner. Or breakfast. Or lunch. Or after school snack. Or midnight snack. Or all of the above. (But maybe not in the same day!!?!!)
These pancakes are made with whole wheat flour and maple syrup. So they are actually good for you. (Despite the fact that the name of the recipe sounds like dessert. They are the real deal for a meal!)
Now for the recipe…
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups grated carrots
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup syrup
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese softened
- sausage, eggs, fresh fruit side
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk in the milk, egg, applesauce, maple syrup, melted butter. Fold in the grated carrots.
- Cook pancakes on hot, greased griddle. Repeat until all batter is used.
- To make cream cheese syrup, whisk together equal parts of maple syrup and cream cheese and add a dash or two of cinnamon. Pour over hot pancakes.
- Serve Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Pancakes & Cream Cheese Maple Syrup with side of sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit.