This Walking Taco Casserole recipe is for anyone and everyone who loves tacos.
Walking taco casserole is maybe not actually for walking, but it is perfect to make and then walk into a potluck with.
It’s sure to get that WOW from other guests at the event!
This casserole is a play on the beloved walking taco recipes where you toss all the taco fixins’ into a chip bag. Hence, walking taco because it’s an on-the-go type of meal.
This casserole is based on that super easy dinner idea – but in the form of a baked casserole dish instead of the chip bag!
In addition to taking this to your next potluck gathering, this will surely be a crowd pleaser during the busy back to school season. Easy to prep for mom and dad, loved by all the kids!
You can see in the photos below, just how easy this is to throw together…
PHOTOS: How to Make Walking Taco Casserole
All the ingredients you will need.
Brown the ground beef with the onion.
Stir in the beans and enchilada sauce.
Layer half of the chips on the bottom.
Then sprinkle cheese…
Then the meat mixture and then more cheese.
Bake as directed.
Once baked add more chips and garnish.
You can add whatever your favorite taco toppings: sour cream, pico de gallo (pictured), or guacamole.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning see homemade recipe in notes below
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 15 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 9.25 oz bag Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion chopped
- lettucem tomato, sour cream, guacamole optional garnish
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish by non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet, add the ground beef and chopped onions. Cook over medium heat stirring often until meat is browned and onions have softened. Drain fat, if needed.
- Add in water and taco seasoning, stir and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the enchilada sauce and beans to the skillet and stir to fully combine.
- Sprinkle about 4 cups of Fritos into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, then sprinkle about 1 cup of cheddar cheese over the Fritos. Spread the meat mixture on top of that for the next layer then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Once cooked, top with the remaining Fritos.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with optional topping such as lettuce, tomato, green onions, sour cream, or guacamole. Enjoy!