Oh my flavor explosion!
I just have thing for Thai food. I’ve always loved a good curry…and was recently reinspired to make more Thai food after a friend from Thailand made us dinner recently.
I loved watching him work and cook in our kitchen and we were all pleasantly stuffed at the end of our leisurely and delightful meal.
Since then…I make a curry or Thai inspired dish anytime I have all the right ingredients on hand!
Like this Thai Chicken Coconut Soup…hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Easy Tom Kha Gai)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp white onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger grated (about 1 inch of root)
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass found in the produce section with the fresh herbs
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk NOT the non-dairy milk alternative in the refrigerated cartons
- In a medium soup pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken, garlic, and onion to the oil. Cook until chicken is done.
- Stir in ginger, basil, cilantro, mushrooms, pepper flakes, chicken stock, and lemongrass. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass stalks and discard. Stir in lime juice and coconut milk and serve immediately.