Last week before our spontaneous camping trip (more on that tomorrow), I was on a mission to clear out the fridge and use up items from the pantry and freezers. And come Friday night, there wasn’t much left to choose from. I went digging in the freezers and I found the a bag of my favorite taco meat, some shredded cheese…and then pulled out the potatoes from the cupboard…using those we didn’t need for the campfire hobos, and I made this.
To be honest, I wasn’t sure it was going to work. We really enjoy Chili Topped Potatoes, so why not try it with taco meat on top instead of chili. I was nervous. I was.
But we really enjoyed it!
The kids had them cheeseless and didn’t complain one bit. And the ONLY thing I would do differently next time is use shredded Pepper Jack cheese for some extra kick. If I’d had any on hand, I’d have used it. But the cheddar was just fine!
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- 3 cups leftover taco meat
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- corn cobs side dish
- butter for corn
- Bake the potatoes, or cook them in the microwave if you are short on time.
- Add the taco meat on top, then sprinkle cheese on top and microwave or run under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Boil the corn cobs or prepare other vegetable.
- Serve Taco 'Taters with buttery corn cobs.