Last Thursday was “Taco Night” at our house. (And turns out, it was at many of your houses, as well!) I made a double batch of my favorite taco meat…thinking I’d freeze some to have another taco night next month.
Instead, I ended up “repurposing” the taco meat into quesadillas last night! Steve and I had the cheesy quesadillas dipped in sour cream…and the boys had “taco roll-ups.” I just rolled the taco meat up burrito style and then I challenged them to not let any of the taco meat fall out.
There were subsequently quite a few giggles at the dinner table last night!
- 6 soft taco size whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups leftover beef taco meat
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream for dipping
- corn cobs side dish
- Lay each tortilla flat on a clean surface.
- In a bowl, combine the taco meat and cheese. Place the mixture onto half part of each tortilla. Fold the tortilla over and then warm the griddle, skillet or whatever contraption you have to make the quesadillas.
- On a griddle or in large skillet, cook the quesadillas for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Press down with large spatula to get to "stick together." Or use a panini press, waffle iron or quesadilla maker.
- Slice into smaller wedges with pizza slicer.
- Boil or microwave corn cobs.
- Serve Taco Quesadillas with sour cream and corn cobs.
Yummmy! We make something similar but add salsa to the meat and call it a homemade Mexi-Melt (a la Taco Bell)
[email protected] Balance Sheet says
That is a great idea. We love tacos at our house too.
Thanks for the link-up.
I LOVE quesadillas. While looking for a quick snack one night, I used my leftover meatloaf as my meat in quesadillas. I crumbled up the meat into a bowl, and microwaved it until hot. I spread a tiny amount of taco sauce on the tortillas, then added the crumbled meatloaf and my favorite shredded cheese. It was quite tasty.
We just had these over the weekend. Just got my copy of the breakfast and lunches cookbook. Excellent!
Beth in Dublin OH says
I really need to get myself a copy of both Erin’s cookbooks. I follow the blog religiously – LOVE IT SO MUCH – and openly admit that my grocery shopping and meal planning completely changed when I discovered 5dollardinners.com. Changed is a GREAT way! : )
Jenny Martin says
I cannot believe I have never thought of that! we love quesadillas and we love tacos–what a great idea!
Micha @ Cookin' Mimi says
Why hadn’t I thought of this the other night when I made tacos for the adults and quesadillas for the kidlets.
Mar H says
We do this all the time – I first put shredded cheese on the tortillas in the frying pan and let it melt a little before adding the leftover taco meat (which always includes corn and black beans at our house). I add a little salsa and some cooked onion slices to the “adult” version.
Desiree in van B.C. says
Erin…i was just wondering where you are located to have tortillas so cheap….i pay $2.99 for ten in a pack. or is the price for just the amount used for the recipe?? silly question i know…lolz