I love chicken salad on the sweeter side. Perhaps with some fruit like grapes, apples or my favorite, pineapple. I’ve had a small can of mandarin oranges glaring at my from the cupboard…as if it says, what are you going to do with me?
Put you into an Asian chicken salad, of course!
Sweet Asian Chicken Salad Sandwiches
I love chicken salad on the sweeter side. This is a great recipe with a little Asian flare and some mandarin oranges.
Servings - 4 servings
- 12 chicken tenderloins or 2 cups of shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp juice from mandarin oranges
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 8 oz. mandarin oranges
- Salt and pepper
- 1 loaf sweet Italian loaf bread sliced
- 1 bag lettuce
- cherry tomatoes for salad
- salad dressing
- Boil chicken tenderloins for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and shred.
- Make the sweet Asian dressing by whisking together mayonnaise, soy sauce, juice from mandarin oranges, garlic powder and ground ginger.
- In large mixing bowl, toss shredded chicken, mandarin oranges, chopped peanuts, chopped celery with the Asian dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare salad.
- Serve Sweet Asian Chicken Salad on Bread with Garden Salad.
I have to reply…This sounds yummy, sans peanuts. But, yes, there is a but, I have to laugh. My family and I think it’s hilarious that all someone has to do to make something “asian” is add mandarin oranges and nuts (peanuts or almonds). I’m half korean, which is probably why I think this is hilarious. I’m not void of my ethnic ignorance, either. I proudly wear my Kanji symbols as my badge of ignorance. I really have no idea what they mean, just what the poster on the wall says they mean…
This looks delicious! I’ve never thought to put mandarin oranges in chicken salad–will have to do. And I guess the pampered chef baker is going to have to go on my Christmas list!
Alisa - Go Dairy Free & Frugal Foodie says
Ooh, that sounds delicious!
Christine @Great Oak Circle DIY says
oh yummy! I love chicken salad, what a nice twist!
oh my gosh, this sounds yummalicious – perhaps I’ll add a couple of chopped walnuts for my chixies’ crunch preference?
Melissa Peterman says
Oh I love chicken salad sandwiches and this looks like a hit. For under $5 it looks like a million. Well done. We are always looking for great looking quick and easy recipes like this at Foodista. We’d love to have you submit a recipe to Foodista! I can’t wait to look at more of what you are cooking!
Looks tasty! My husband is the vegetarian but chicken salad has sounded really good lately. I may have to try this for lunch, just for me sometime soon.