Despite all my meal planning efforts, today was one of those days where it was 5 pm and I hadn’t set foot in the kitchen to start making dinner (we usually eat at 5:30). We all have “one of those days” and today was mine! But, thankfully we didn’t resort to eating out, because I did have a plan and the ingredients I needed to make tonight’s meal.
Sweet and Sour Sauce adapted from Betty Crocker Cookbook
Sweet and Sour Pork
- 1 lb pork cut into cubes ($1.99)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
- 3 Tbsp honey ($.25) Recipe called for 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp worstershire sauce ($.05) I recommend 1 Tbsp soy sauce, but we can't have soy.
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch ($.01)
- 1 orange ($.25) Recipe called for 1 8 oz can crushed pinapple. I didn't have any, so I finely cut and orange and used it's "juices" as well. Worked fine!
- 1/3 cup white viengar ($.15)
- 1/4 green pepper ($.25) I had just enough left to use for this sauce from the Rice and Beans and the Salad
- 1 cup rice ($.20)
- 2 large broccoli heads ($.75)
- In skillet, cook pork cubes in 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
- In saucepan, cook 1 cup rice in 2 1/4 cup water. Bring water to boil. Add rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- In smaller saucepan or skillet, prepare sweet and sour sauce. Mix honey and cornstarch in saucepan. Add juices from orange + about 1/4 cup water. Stir. Add vinegar and worcestershire (or soy) sauce. Stir in orange pieces and chopped green peppers. Add sauce to cooked pork and let simmer about 10-12 minutes for flavors to infuse into the pork. (I added the sauce when the pork was still a bit pink and let it finish cooking in the sauce.)
- Steam broccoli in steamer or microwave.
- Serve sweet and sour pork over rice with side of broccoli.