It’s time to break out the foodie-fun with the kids this upcoming July 4th!
Simple sugar cookies, cut with a star shape. Then add some cream cheese homemade icing, and then you can add some sliced strawberries and/or blueberries on top. (These are the star shape cookie cutters that I use!)
The perfect red-white-and-blue treat for you and your kiddos this Independence Day!
- 11 Tbsp softened butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 5 oz softened cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 lb. strawberries, washed and sliced
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together 5 Tbsp softened butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in your egg and 1 Tbsp vanilla.
- Mix in your flour, salt, and baking powder until you have a thick dough.
- Form your dough into a large dough ball and roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Use your star cookie-cutter to cut out about 10 stars.
- Place the stars on your parchment paper and bake for exactly 10 minutes, then let cool.
- While cooling, mix together your 6 Tbsp softened butter, softened cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you have a creamy frosting.
- Scoop your frosting into a large decorating bag, cut a small piece off the tip, and begin frosting your cookies.
- Wash and slice your strawberries.
- Place five strawberry slices on each cookie in a pinwheel shape and enjoy!