Simple and delicious St. Patrick’s Day treat…
Oh, chocolate chip cookies. Yummy, yummy cookies.
Theyâ€™re about to get a little yummier and a little chocolate-ier.
(That might be my new favorite wordâ€¦chocolate-ier.)
Why donâ€™t we kick it up a few notches this St. Patrickâ€™s Day with these Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies?!? Whoâ€™s with me?!?
I love these because they are simple, easy to make with the kids and uber-delicious.
Any chocolate chip dough recipe will work, but you are going to want to chill it for at least two hours. You want to chill it so it will â€œformâ€ better and they will bake better too.
The kids and I had the most fun together working on this â€œcookie project,â€ as they called it. I tasked my older two boys to sort out the mini candies with a crunchy, candy-coated shell into color piles. (The 2-year-old was napping at the time. He would likely have been sampling the candies during the sorting time!)
While the boys sorted, I prepared the dough by rolling it into a â€œlog,â€ then shaping it into the arch of the rainbow. From there, I flattened the dough down so that the five colors would fit across the dough. Then we each chose a color and started adding the candy to create the â€œrainbows.â€
Next we baked as directed by the recipe. As with any cookie, the dough will spread outâ€¦so be sure to get the candy close to the dough.
Once baked you can then get to munching on your rainbow cookiesâ€¦chasing after that pot of gold on the end of the rainbow!
Hope you enjoy this simple tasty treat this St. Patrickâ€™s Day! What is your favorite St. Patrickâ€™s Day treat?
St. Patrick's Day Rainbow Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Rainbow colored M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a stand mixer or mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together. Then add the vanilla and 1 egg and beat together. Then add the other egg and beat together.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda and salt and gently combine/whisk together. Add the dry ingredients mix 1 cup at a time to the wet ingredients. Beat until the dough forms.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Then take 2-3 cookies worth of dough and roll into a "log" and then bend into the shape of rainbow. Press down until it looks like the photo.
- Add the M&Ms, as close together as possible. They will spread out some as the dough underneath thins as it bakes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes, or until cookie is cooked through.
- Let cool on cooling rack before serving.