Who knew making a homemade ice cream sandwich could be so simple! I’ve teamed up with Dollar General and CHIPS AHOY! to show you just how easy it is to make your own ice cream sandwiches at home!
It’s time we take chocolate chip cookies to a new level of summer-food fun! It looks like this…
- CHIPS AHOY! Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- CHIPS AHOY! Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Rrrroooooolllllllled in a pile of sprinkles.
…Whole new level, my friend.
But before we get to the recipe, I’ve got a very important tip to share for making the perfect ice cream sandwiches and how to get the kids involved too.
(Did someone say ‘ice cream sandwich bar’??? or ‘Ice cream sandwich block party’???)
That will send the kids (and neighbors) running for your kitchen…and then you can shoo them outside with their delicious, handmade cool treats! (But be prepared, they’ll probably come back in for a second sandwich!)
I love that you can easily host a late night dessert block party where everyone can join in the tasty fun, while you don’t have to worry about spending too much when you get your ice cream & CHIPS AHOY! cookies from Dollar General. That’s a win-win…neighbors love you and you don’t have to worry about burning a hole in your pocketbook.
I’m sharing “The Sprinkle-Spinkle Ahoy!wich” ice cream sandwich here today, but these others will inspire your creativity. Check out these fun CHIPS AHOY! recipes over on DollarGeneral.com:
- Gimme S’more
- Pretty in Pink
- Mint Condition
- The Classic
Making Ahoy!wiches at home is so much cheaper than going out to the ice cream shop…and we think they are tastier too…when you make them yourself and customize the flavors and sprinkles! (And the kids can have a second one without busting the budget!)
How to Make the Perfect Ice Cream Sandwich
If you want the absolute perfect ice cream sandwich, you’ll need to do the following:
Let the ice cream soften just enough to scoop it out into a cylindrical freezer-safe plastic cup.
Then scoop it into the cup and press tightly.
Before it gets to soft, toss the cup into the freezer so the ice cream can harden up again. Place a plastic cutting board into the freezer too.
When you’re ready to make your ice cream sandwiches, remove the cup from the freezer and run a little warm water on the outside of the cup to loosen the ice cream from the sides of the cup. Use a knife to loosen it if need be, then…
Slide the ice cream out onto the cutting board that was in the freezer.
Quickly slice the ice cream into thick slices and sandwich between the CHIPS AHOY! cookies. The put the ice cream sandwiches back into the freezer for at least an hour.
When you are ready to eat them, set out the sprinkles onto plates or shallow bowls.
Pull the cookie sandwiches from the freezer. Roll into sprinkles or other ‘toppings.’
Now it’s your turn…
What Kind of ‘Ahoy!Wich’ Ice Cream Sandwich are you making this summer?
The Sprinkles-Sprinkles Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Yield – 18 ice cream sandwiches
Preparation Time – 20 minutes, plus about 1 1/2 hour chilling time
Cooking Time – 0 minutes
- 1 family size box of CHIPS AHOY! Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 gallon vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 small bottle of sprinkles (or a few varieties of sprinkles)
- Let the ice cream soften and then add to skinny cylindrical glass/cup that is freezer safe. If you don’t have a cylindrical glass, just add softened ice cream in between 2 cookies and return to the freezer.
- Add the cylindrical glass to the freezer for about 30 minutes. Add a plastic cutting board to the freezer as well.
- Remove the glass and run a little warm water over it to loosen the ice cream from the edges. Remove the cutting board from the freezer and slide the ice cream ‘cylinder’ onto the cutting board. Quickly slice ice cream and make sandwiches with the cookies. Put the cookie sandwiches on a freezer safe plate and return to the freezer. Freeze for about an hour, or until the middle is hardened.
- When ready to add sprinkles to the sandwiches, add the sprinkles to plates or shallow bowls. Take the cookie sandwiches out of the freezer, roll in the sprinkles and eat.