It’s been years since I’ve had chili in a bread bowl. Maybe even a decade worth of years. I’d forgotten how amazingly delicious the bottom of the bread bowl tastes, after it’s had time to soak up all the chili juices.
A perfect warm your tummy meal!
The Chili Bread Bowls
Made with, yes, chili powder in the dough!
The dough has a lovely orange tint.
On the second rise.
While those rise and then bake, it’s time to move to the chili…that is unless you started the chili earlier and it’s simmering away on your stove…sending it’s lovely aromas all through your home!
The Spicy Southern Chili
Starlets #1 and #2.
Hunts Stewed tomatoes.
Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies.
Starlets #3 – #214. (Okay, maybe not that many.)
Pinto beans. (Cooked from scratch.)
It’s how they do chili in the south. With pinto beans. (At least that’s how they do it in the part of the south where I come from.)
And when we put it all together and…
Nummy. Num. Nom. Nom. Num. Nom. Num.
(sung to the tune of a fun little jig!)
Bread Bowl Dough
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1.25 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 15 oz can Hunts stewed tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese sour cream, scallions
- Place the bread bowl dough ingredients in the order listed into the bread machine and run the dough cycle.
- When finished, lightly knead the dough on a clean and floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form into the shape of a ball.
- Let rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting the tops out with a bread knife.
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef with the red onion and garlic. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, and Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, pinto beans and chili powder.
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Spicy Southern Chili in Bread Bowls.