It brings up so many great memories of holiday parties and other gatherings!
When it comes time for holiday parties, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the possibilities of what to serve. I’ve tried a number of different varieties of party mix at different events, and I’ve experimented with a number of different combinations in my own kitchen. And I have settled on this as one of my favorites. I dig, dig, dig the cranberry and almond flavor combination. And I dig, dig, dig the texture combination that comes with the almonds and cranberries too…a little smooth, a little crunch. And (finally) I dig, dig, dig that this one is/can be allergy-free, if you use the right ingredients…it’s currently gluten free, can be dairy-free if you use a dairy-free margarine, and could be nut free if you replaced the almonds with sunflower seeds! A great party mix for anyone dealing with food allergies, or for friends who deal with food allergies!
These days, I’m all about the simpler, the better. Try this simple and quick party mix that can be prepared in minutes!
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 6 cups cereal squares (2 cups rice cereal squares, 2 cups corn cereal squares, 2 cups honey nut cereal squares)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds*
- Place the brown sugar and butter or margarine in a microwavable bowl.
- Cook on high in the microwave for one minute.
- Stir the melted butter and brown sugar with the ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger.
- In a large microwavable mixing bowl, add the cereal squares.
- Toss with the melted butter mixture. Microwave on high for two minutes, then stir, and microwave on high for another two minutes.
- Toss again and then stir in the dried cranberries and sliced almonds.
- Toss well and then lay out onto wax or parchment paper to cool. Once cool, transfer to a serving bowl.
*If you don’t have almonds on hand, try walnuts or pecans instead.
Another thing that can be overwhelming is dealing with guests who have food allergies and sensitivities. I do my best to be accommodating of those friends and relatives with food allergies, as we deal with them in our own family. I love that this party mix is gluten-free, and could be dairy free if you used a dairy-free margarine.
Do you throw elaborate or simple parties? How do you accommodate those with food allergies?
I hope you give the party mix a try!!!