Chocolate + Muffin in the same recipe title. OH YEAH BABY!
These are perfectly moist, delicious and sweet with a simple powdered sugar topping and a side of fresh fruit. (Because the fresh fruit accompaniment means that we can have more chocolate, right? right? right?)
Bake them up, dust them with a little powdered sugar, toss a couple berries onto the plate and you are winning at dessert. (Or snack. Or breakfast.)
Yes, chocolate muffins for breakfast. There, I gave your permission 😉
Hope you enjoy these muffins!!!
Oh, and if you’ve never worked with sourdough before…you’ll wanna study this!
Sourdough Chocolate Muffins
- 3 cups fed sourdough starter (This would be active starter that was fed about 2 hours ago.)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed gently to melt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- fresh fruit, optional
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare cupcake/muffin pans by inserting parchment cup liners. These muffins are very delicate and the parchment liners allow them tobe removed easily and remain intact when theyre served.
- In large bowl, add all ingredients together and mix with wooden spoon. I wouldnt recommend using a mixer because the sourdoughelasticity will have the batter traveling up the paddles and making a big mess. Its better to just stir by hand.
- When the ingredients are well blended divide the batter evenly across the 24 cups. Theyll be about full.
- Bake at 325 for 19 - 21 minutes or until internal muffin temperature is 190 degrees with baking thermometer.
- These muffins are delicately sweet and are best served with a dusting of powdered sugar and fruit.