When life is busy it is even more important for my family to find time to eat together. There is something so relaxing about sitting around the table together chatting, laughing, and reconnecting.
However, it can be rough to throw together a family dinner when we walk in the door a few minutes before dinner time. Yes, I can throw together a pretty decent meal in 10 minutes, but (confession time) I am not always that cheerful when throwing together a dinner in 10 minutes. And if I have been grumping at everyone while making dinner, it kind of puts a damper on the chatting, laughing, and reconnecting that is supposed to happen around the dinner table.
If I remember to put together a slow cooker meal in the morning on busy days, I am more relaxed at dinner time and my cheerfulness rubs off on the rest of the family.
My kids love taco soup and I love how easy it is to make. All I have to do is add all the ingredients, except for the toppings, to the slow cooker before I leave. Then I come home to a delicious dinner. I keep this meal frugal my using items from my Batch Cooking Day instead of canned ingredients. I was able to pull browned hamburger, cooked beans, cooked rice, diced bell peppers, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and corn from the freezer to use in this recipe.
I add rice to the taco soup, which makes it thicker, almost like a stew. My thicker version makes it easier for my 5 year old to eat it without dripping, which contributes to a relaxing dinner.
Slow Cooker Taco Rice Soup
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 6 hours
- ~1/2 pound hamburger, browned
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper diced
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or 15.5 oz. can black beans (Or learn how to cook your own beans here.)
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or 15.5 oz. can white beans
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 3/4 cups or 15.5 oz. can frozen corn
- 3 1/2 cups or 2 15.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (Or make your own taco seasoning here.)
- 1 cup crushed chips
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- If necessary, brown hamburger.
- Add hamburger, onion, bell pepper, beans, corn, rice, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and taco seasoning to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with crushed chips and cheese.
I served the soup with a garden salad.