A slow cooking twist on a classic fakeout-takeout meal – Sweet and Sour Chicken.
Please make note of when the cornstarch is added 🙂
We hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp 1 tsp minced garlic
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Garnish: sesame seeds
- Side: rice
- Side: veggies
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
- Seed and dice the red bell pepper into 1-inch pieces.
- Drain and reserve the pineapple juice from canned pineapple chunks in a small bowl. With the pineapple juice, add the chicken stock, brown sugar, soy sauce and minced garlic.
- Place the chicken pieces and red bell pepper pieces in the base of the slow cooker and pour the pineapple chunks around the chicken. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Pour the pineapple-soy sauce mixture over the top.
- Set on low and cook for 8 hours. With 30 minutes left in the cooking cycle, swirl the cornstarch with a few Tbsp of water and stir it into the sauce. Cook for 30 more minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Cook the rice as directed.
- Prepare veggies.
- Serve Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken over rice with side of veggies.