Healthy, seasonal, ‘fix and forget’ kind of side dish…or main dish?!?
These root vegetables are so delicious and so filling…so much so that I might consider eating them as a meal by themselves. Or maybe with a side salad?!
Either way you partake in them, they are delicious.
Before we get to the recipe, I’ve got some tips for you:
- Place the sweet potatoes on the bottom and the carrots and parsnips on top.
- Rinse the sweet potatoes after you peel them, but before you slow cooker them.
- If you are around the house while you are making these, toss them around gently halfway through the cooking cycle. If you are not home, don’t worry – they will be just as delicious if you don’t toss them!
Now for the recipe for these scrumptious root veggies…
Slow Cooker Root Vegetables
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 whole carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse the peeled and quartered sweet potatoes and put them into the base of the slow cooker.
- Add the carrot and parsnip chunks.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup over the vegetables and toss gently, keeping the sweet potatoes on the bottoms.
- Sprinkle the dried rosemary, salt and pepper over the top.
- Set on low and cook for 4 hours. If possible, gently toss once, halfway through the slow cooking cycle.
- Serve Slow Cooker Root Vegetables as side dish, or as main meal with a salad.