Want to treat yourself to a super simple and ridiculously delicious chocolate dessert?
This is a total ‘cheater lava cake’ – meaning it’s not made from scratch, it’s made in the slow cooker…but I totally make up for the cheating by…
1. Adding more chocolate in the form of chocolate chips.
2. Adding instant coffee in the batter to bring up the chocolate flavor.
3. Sprinkling instant coffee on top for the full mocha effect.
Stop what you are doing right now and add these ingredients to your shopping list.
Like right now. 😉
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp or 1 packet instant coffee granules, divided
- 4 oz box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips, divided
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped topping
- Generously spray the insert of the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix with the eggs, oil and 1 3/4 cups water (as directed on the box!) Once the batter is formed, stir in the instant coffee granules and 1 cup of the chocolate chips. (Note: If you wish to sprinkle a little more coffee on top, you'll either need another packet or you could hold a little back in the packet. If you are using instant coffee from a jar, use 1 tsp in the batter and sprinkle more on top, if desired.)
- In another small bowl, whisk together the pudding mix and milk and let set.
- Pour the cake batter into the slow cooker insert, then add the prepared pudding on top of the cake batter.
- Set the slow cooker on high and cook for 3-4 hours, or until toothpick comes out clean in the cake portion. (The "lava" will be beneath the baked cake.) Note: if you are using a smaller 4-5 quart slow cooker, it will take closer to 4 hours as the cake is 'deeper.' If you are using a 6 qt. slow cooker, it will take closer to 3 hours.
- To serve, spoon the cake and lava into serving bowls and top with ice cream, remaining chocolate chips & a few sprinkles of instant coffee.