This one is going onto the list of foods that cause me to lose self control…
Really, I just love food. And I love delicious food. And I love the crazy delicious combinations of salty, tangy and smoky in this sandwich. Plus the crunch from the pickles and the creaminess from the cheese.
I used a hoagie roll…because that’s what was cheapest at my store last week. But, a flatter/thinner bread is the more traditional bread for a cubano sandwich.
These are inspired by the movie Chef. Great movie (if you can ignore the language!), great story and great FOOD.
It’s about a chef who quits the restaurant life and starts a food truck making cubanos. That’s all I will say, go watch it. It’s goooooood.
For these sandwiches, I didn’t roast the pork…I cooked it in the slow cooker with some orange juice and cumin. Then I loosely shredded it and strained off the juices and assembled these bad-boys. These delicious, drool invoking bad-boys.
Now it’s your turn…plan a “Cubano” night…make these and watch the movie Chef. <3
Slow Cooker Cubano Sandwiches
- 2 lb. pork roast
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 8 sandwich pickles
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 8 slices ham deli meat
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Fresh fruit, as side dish
- Place the pork roast into the base of the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Pour the orange juice on and around the pork and season with the ground cumin.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours. Once finished cooking, shred the pork with 2 forks and mix into the sauce. Strain before adding the pork to the sandwiches.
- Preheat oven or panini press.
- Assemble sandwiches by adding the shredded pork, ham, Swiss cheese with mayo and mustard onto the hoagie buns with pickles.
- Warm in oven or press in panini press.
- Prepare fruit.
- Serve Slow Cooker Cubano Sandwiches with fruit.
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday #106.