A simple variation of chicken and rice.
It’s simple to make. It calls for simple ingredients. And is simply delicious!
This is the last of the recipes that was on my “pantry challenge” list from December and January. And how fitting that I’m making it on the last day of January! I had the chicken thighs in the freezer and knew I wanted to use them in the slow cooker (because I don’t grill when it’s 20 degrees out!)Â While using a gumbo soup vegetable mix would have been more appropriate, I used a vegetable soup mix of frozen vegetables…that has also been hanging out in the freezer!
Add some Creole seasoning (and say BAM! while you’re at it!)…sorry, I had to!
Let it cook the day away and enjoy a no fuss meal at the end of the day!
- 2.5 lbs. chicken thighs ($2.49) On sale for $.99/lb
- Drizzles of olive oil ($.05)
- 1-2 Tbsp Creole seasoning ($.20)
- 1 bag vegetable soup frozen vegetables or gumbo soup mix ($.88)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes ($.15)
- 1 cup brown rice, as side dish ($.40)
- Add the chicken thighs to the slow cooker. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top. Season with the Creole seasoning.
- Add the diced tomatoes over the chicken, then the vegetables over top of the chicken. (Adding them while still frozen is fine!) Sprinkle a little more seasoning over top. Add a few dashes of salt and pepper as well.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- About 1 hour before dinner time, start cooking the brown rice. Cook according to package instructions. (If using instant brown rice, you'll only need a few minutes!)
- Serve Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and veggies over brown rice.