This is a fabulous soup.
It’s your basic taco soup…with a little extra taco seasoning and a swirl of sour cream right before you serve it!
It needs more taco seasoning because the sour cream tames it down a little. So we’re adding a touch more than if it didn’t have the sour cream.
It’s all about the creamy-spicy balance.
Let these flavors and ingredients hang out in the slow cooker all day and then swirl in the sour cream just before serving. Add some crushed tortilla chips and cheese on top, and you have yourself a perfect bowl of comfort soup for a chilly fall/winter evening!
Slow Cooker Creamy Taco Soup
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 15 oz can corn, drained
- 2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 packets taco seasoning or 3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- Garnish: crushed tortilla chips
- Garnish: shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Side: veggies
- Brown the ground beef with the minced onion and garlic powder. Drain.
- To a 6 qt or larger slow cooker, add the browned ground beef, chopped bell pepper, drained and rinsed black beans, drained corn, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, and beef broth. Stir in the taco seasoning. Set on low and cook for 8 hours. Do NOT add sour cream at the start of the cooking cycle.
- Just before serving, swirl in the sour cream into the soup.
- Prepare veggies.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese.
- Serve Slow Cooker Creamy Taco Soup with veggies.
This recipe is featured on SouthernPlate.com’s Meal Plan Monday #91.
Just something I’ve noticed, a block of cream cheese, or even just half a block, may be a creamier constancy than sour cream. But still top it with sour cream for that amazing tang!
Love the recipe!!