Busy weeknight dinners just got a cheesy makeover!
Not like a silly, cheesy makeover…complete with funny props and faces from a photo booth.
Like a CHEESE-y makeover.
As in queso blanco and cream cheese makeover.
Start these in the morning before a busy day, then come home in time to shred the chicken, mix in the cheese and serve them up…then sit back, relax and watch your family devour them!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Sandwiches
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 4 – 6 hours
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, frozen or thawed
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp minced dried onion or ¼ cup fresh onions, minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chipotle, ground
- 1/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 3 drops liquid smoke
- 8 oz. queso blanco
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Bread or rolls for serving
- Optional: top with avocados, lettuce etc.
- Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken thighs to the base of the slow cooker.
- In small bowl, stir together the honey, vinegar, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, chipotle, cumin, and liquid smoke.
- Pour sauce over chicken. If frozen, cook on high 4 – 6 hours or low for 6 – 8 hours. If thawed, cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove slow cooker from heating element and drain off most of the liquid leaving about 1/2 cup sauce (and the chicken) in the slow cooker.
- Use a fork to pull apart chicken pieces in the slow cooker. Add both the queso blanco & the cream cheese to chicken and mix until cheese is completely melted and no lumps remain.
- Serve on sandwich rolls with your favorite fixings, like avocado and lettuce!
*Note: If you are using chicken that is NOT packaged with broth or “solution,” you’ll want to add ¼ cup water to the sauce before cooking. Most fresh or frozen chicken I buy is up to 15% solution. Check the package for details.