Alright friends. There is nothing sexy about the way this looks. In fact, I think it looks the opposite of sexy.
I didn’t have any ice cream or whipped cream to garnish this with…so I’m left with un-sexy looking apple crisp.
But let me talk to you a minute about the taste. The taste is uber sexy. I think it’s the way the the slow cooker cooks the apples, and how the spices are infused into the apples. And how the crisp on top is perfectly crispy, with just the right amount of softness under the top layer.
You’re just going to have to trust me. And I’m going to have a small little tub of ice cream in the back of the freezer…so I can garnish any and all future un-sexy slow cooker desserts. But I’m afraid that I’ll just eat it all…so then I’m stuck again with un-sexy slow cooker desserts.
Ok…enough of what could be an endless cycle of sexy-unsexy. And onto the recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt. Cut in a the 1/2 cup of butter with a pastry tool or 2 knives.
- Add the apple slices to the base of the slow cooker and toss with the lemon juice, brown sugar and corn starch. Drop in 4 1 Tbsp pads of butter. Add the topping mixture over top of the apples in the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Crisp as is, or with ice cream or whipped cream topping.