Takes 10 minutes to brown the beef.
In that 10 minutes, you can get everything else ready for the soup.
And then 6.5 hours later, your meal is ready!
So simple, so quick, so delicious!!!
(For when you’re tired of turkey and you need some beef!)
Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 1.25 lb. ground chuck ($2.23) On sale for $1.79/lb
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped ($.15)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed ($.20)
- 2 cups homemade or store bought beef broth (free to $1)
- 4 cups water
- About 1 cup chopped carrots ($.50) I would have used whole carrots, but I had about 1 cup of baby carrots, so I cut them up!
- 1 15 oz can peas, drained ($.50)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained ($.29)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- 3 cups rotini pasta ($.25) Used $.50/box pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion and crushed garlic. Drain and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the beef broth, water, chopped carrots, peas, diced tomatoes and Italian seasonings. Set on high and cook for 6 hours.
- Once it clicks to the warm setting, it will be ready to add the pasta. Add the pasta about 40 minutes before you’re ready to eat. Keep the slow cooker on warm while the pasta “cooks,” rather absorbs the water.
- Do not. I repeat. Do NOT. add the pasta at the start. It will turn into a nasty mushy mess.
- Serve Beef and Vegetable Slow Cooker Soup.
I use my slow cooker mostly on Sundays so the meal is ready when we come home from church. This would be a wonderful addition to our Sunday meals this winter! I love stew and soups.
This reminds me of my mother’s vegetable soup. She used cubed beef (I prefer ground) and added chopped cabbage (the only way I’d eat cabbage as a child). But, it’s still a great memory!!
Amy B. says
We LOVED this meal. Made it today, cooking it on low for 8 hours, plus the 45 minutes on warm. Used an entire box of whole wheat pasta and 2 beef bullion cubes plus six cups of water (instead of the broth plus water). Noodles absorbed all the water in the “soup” making this an easy meal for my toddler to eat. Husband also loved it (good thing because there are LOTS of leftovers). Thanks for this great dish!
This was very tasty!