Happy Monday y’all! I’ve got a “2 for 1 recipe” for you tonight…but I’m only sharing the first part tonight and the other idea later in the week. I was on the hunt for a 1.25-1.5lb-ish roast, but couldn’t find one. They were all 3 lbs+ that afternoon. So I did a little meal plan rearranging while in the store and decided that I’d double up on the shredded beef and make 2 meals outta one roast. I crossed a few things off the list, added another item for this 2nd meal and was on my merry way.
(Always keep an eye out for a sale price between $2.49-$2.99/lb for chuck roast…that’s my “never pay more than” range for roasts!)
What I love about this recipe…
- The beef cooks in the slow cooker
- The beef cooks out super tender, from the acidity in the orange juice
- The slow cooker can be loaded in 3 minutes, and the meal prepped in less than 10 minutes after the beef is finished cooking
- It’s has a high “convenience-cost” quotient, meaning it uses some “prepped ingredients” like shredded carrots, but they don’t cost an arm & a leg either
- It also has a high “yum-ness” factor…everyone at the table loved these tacos
- The leftover carrot-cabbage slaw will taste even better tomorrow, as it soaks up the vinegar
- I could go on…
But, here it is…shredded beef in the slow cooker. Red cabbage & shredded carrots slaw. Wrapped in a tortilla with some cilantro for extra flavor pop.
Shredded Orange Thai Beef Tacos
- 3+ lb. chuck roast (using half for this recipe) ($9.26)
- 1 5 oz container orange juice ($1)
- 1 3 oz jar Sweet Chili Sauce ($1.47)
- 1 tsp curry powder ($.05)
- 1 tsp garlic salt ($.02)
- 1/4 red cabbage head, shredded ($.12)
- 12 oz. shredded carrots ($.99)
- Handful cilantro leaves, chopped ($.10)
- 2 tsp olive oil ($.04)
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 Flour tortillas ($1)
- To the slow cooker, add the roast with the fat side up. Pour in the orange juice and pour the Sweet Chili sauce on top of the beef. Sprinkle the curry powder, garlic salt and pepper over the roast and sauce. Set on low and cook for 8 to 10 hours. Once cooked, pull the beef apart using 2 forks, making the shredded beef.
- Just before serving, make up the slaw by tossing together the shredded cabbage, carrots, chopped cilantro and the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. If you like a tangy slaw, add more vinegar.
- To serve, add the slaw onto a tortilla, top with shredded beef and a few cilantro leaves, roll up and enjoy!