I’m often asked why I share so many taco recipes…and there are 3 reasons.
One, my boys love them.
Two, I live in the land of ridiculously cheap corn and flour tortillas…where the grocery stores have in-store tortilla making presses.
And three, because I’m trying to pretend that my kitchen is like a taco truck, specifically Torchey’s Tacos. (Last ate at one in Austin. I might start a petition to bring them to San Antonio!)
Here’s a delicious spin off of the shredded beef tacos with mango-avocado salsa. If you find a great deal on a large chuck roast (3+ lbs.) – you can cook it and use the beef for each of these meals. Just mix up the Mango-Avocado salsa for one night, and then the pineapple-pepper salsa below another night. (Cooked, shredded beef freezes really well!)
I adore the sweetness from the pineapple, plus the crunch from the bell peppers in these tacos…MMMMMMMmmmmmmm. Buen provecho!
- 2 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp lime juice divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt and pepper, each
- 1/2 cup water
- 15 oz. can pineapple in 100% juice
- 2 small green bell peppers seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortillas - flour or corn
- corn on the cob, rice, or refried beans side dishes
- Place the beef roast in the slow cooker. Squeeze the lime juice over the top, then sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper on top as well. Carefully pour the water around the beef roast. (I like to add water so that the environment inside the slow cooker stays nice and moist. I think it makes for more tender beef!) Set on low and cook for 8 hours. Once cooked, shred it with 2 forks.
- Before dinner, mix up the pineapple pieces, chopped peppers, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Add the slow cooked beef into the tortillas and top with the pineapple-pepper salsa.
- Prepare side dishes.
- Serve Shredded Beef Tacos with Pineapple-Pepper Salsa & preferred side dishes.