Right now in SW Ohio, we are entering what my friend Jenny has dubbed “hormonal weather” season. It’s the high, low, warm weather tease one day, snow flurries the next.
That’s what these warm weather teases are y’all. Weather hot flashes.
One day there’s a dusting of snow on the ground and the next we are swinging at the park in our t-shirts. It’s during these times that it’s tough to plan what to eat.
Because when there’s snow on the ground, even the tiniest bit, I need soup. I need the warmth. And I need the comfort.
And when the thermometer blasts up close to 70 (which feels like 90, when you are used to 20 degree temps.), all I want is a light summery meal.
I have accidentally come up with the perfect 2 meals for those hormonal days. Both use red cabbage (which we’ve already talked about this week. How to Shred it, specifically), and both use chuck roast beef.
For the stew that I shared the other night, you have to cut part of the roast into cubes and for this shredded beef, you just place the remainder in a slow cooker and then shred it once it’s cooked.
There you have it…
- Beef, Red Cabbage and Kale Stew, for the 20 degree days.
- Shredded Beef Sandwiches with Red Cabbage and Apple Slaw, for the HOT FLASH days!
Shredded Beef Sandwiches with Red Cabbage and Apple Slaw
- 1 1/4 lb chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Couple dashes salt and pepper
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 apples peeled, cored and julienned
- 4 carrots peeled and shredded
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- Couple dashes pepper
- Buns, homemade or store bought
- Place the beef roast into the slow cooker with the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and water/broth. Set on low and cook for 8 hours. Once finished cooking, remove the meat from the liquid and pull apart and shred with 2 forks.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the cabbage, apple pieces, shredded carrots.
- In a small resealable container, add the olive oil, vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper. Shake, shake, shake. Then pour over the cabbage mix.
- To serve, spoon some shredded beef onto the buns and top with the slaw. Use small dinner rolls for "sliders," or regular buns for sandwiches.
- Serve with a side of fresh fruit, or as is. (Just the sandwich itself was meal enough for me!)
Frugal Mommy says
Yum. I have a beef roast I have been trying to find a recipe for. This looks good!
This does sound really good. I have not eaten a sandwich with coleslaw on it but can’t wait to try this.
J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says
I love slow-cooked meats; so tender and flavorful. That looks delicious, especially the pretty cabbage.
The Marketeer says
Cole slaw works well as a topping, especially for seasoned beef like a chuck roast prepared a such above.
If you are hungry for good finance and investing topics, come on over to http://theweeklymarketeer.blogspot.com/
Cheers! The Marketeer
Red cabbage and slaw, a great combination with beef for a delicious sandwich. Great post and “appetizing” photo.
That is a gorgeous picture! I had to click over from my reader to tell you that! The recipe looks good too 😉 I’ll be trying it as soon as chuck roast goes on sale.