This right here is the perfect example of a “leftovers makeover.”
Not long ago, I made a giant beef roast. I found it on sale and I planned on slow cooking it so that I could make roast/potatoes/carrots for meal #1 and tacos for meal #2. I was planning on soft tacos, but 4 unnamed children decided to polish off the flour tortillas that I’d purchased for the second meal. (They love plain tortillas – they make for a great after school snack!)
But I found some hard shell tacos in the pantry, put it all together for the oven…and voila!
The leftover roast still had a traditional beef roast flavor to it (given it had cooked with potatoes/carrots), so I doctored it up with a little lime juice and taco seasoning before assembling and baking these tacos.
**Please note: The recipe below is written as if it were NOT a leftovers meal, so you could make it from scratch like this…
- 1 1/2 lb beef chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz tomato sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning)
- 8 hard shell tacos
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Taco toppings: pico de gallo, guacamole, shredded lettuce
- Side: fruit
- Add the beef roast to the slow cooker insert and season with salt and pepper. Pour the tomato sauce, lime juice and taco seasoning over the top of the beef roast. Set on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Just before dinner, preheat the oven to 350 F. Once the beef is doing cooking, shred with 2 forks and add to hard shell tacos in baking dish. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Add favorite taco toppings and devour.
- Serve Shredded Beef Oven Tacos with fruit.