Some would argue that breakfast tacos need eggs. I would argue that they aren’t a requirement, but certainly a fixture ingredient. But we’re not talking about breakfast tacos…we’re talking “brinner tacos” tonight!
Soft tacos that aren’t traditional tacos because they use breakfast sausage, mushrooms and some veggies…sizzled to perfection, then garnished and rolled for consumption. At breakfast, lunch, or dinner…it doesn’t matter, these “Brinner Tacos” are perfect. Top with whatever you’d like…we added fresh pico de gallo and some shredded jack cheese. I think a little dollop of sour cream or even guacamole would have been a great addition too.
(Also, I doubled up and froze the extras! Perfect “on the go” breakfast, or “grab n go” lunch for Steve!)
Sausage and Mushroom Brinner Tacos
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 1 small orange pepper chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper chopped
- 16 to 20 flour tortillas
- Topping ideas - shredded cheese pico de gallo or salsa, sour cream, avocado slices
- Brown the sausage with the taco seasoning. Once almost browned, stir in the mushrooms, zucchini, and pepper pieces. Saute with the sausage until the sausage is cooked through and the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Spoon the sausage and mushroom mixture into the tortillas and top with favorite taco toppings.
- Serve Sausage and Mushroom Brinner Tacos with side of rice and beans, or fresh fruits.
If you have a winning mushroom recipe of your own, don’t miss the chance to enter Mushroom Channel’s “Swap It or Top It” summer recipe contest for the chance to win $5,000! The contest ends July 31, so start cooking today!