This totally qualifies as a Pantry Staples meal. Beef + Black Beans + Salsa + Rice = simple, crazy cheap, yet delicious meal. Hope you enjoy this super simple ‘pantry staples’ dinner that you might even be able to make tonight…without having to run to the store!
- 1 lb. ground beef or chuck ($1.27)
- 1/2 small white onion chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 15 oz. can lack beans drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese garnish
- fresh veggies side dish
- In a large skillet or saucepan, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the brown rice and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the browned beef, black beans, salsa, undrained diced tomatoes, ground cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper, to taste. Once boiling together, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 50 minutes, or until rice has cooked through. (NOTE: If you wish to use instant brown rice or white rice, let cook for the time suggested on the packaging.)
- Once the rice has cooked through, uncover and simmer to let any remaining liquid cook off.
- Serve Salsa, Black Bean and Beef Skillet with a side of veggies.