Simple. Who doesn’t love simple.
I’m not sure such a tasty meal can be much simpler than this. Here’s what it looks like, getting ready to toss in the oven.
- Place chicken pieces into the baking dish(es).
- Slice up the zucchini and drain the tomatoes.
- Drop around the chicken pieces.
- Drizzle olive oil over everything.
- Season to your heart’s content.
- Dinner is in the oven in less than 8 minutes. Go ahead, time yourself 😉
In addition to the simplicity, I love how inexpensive this will be…all summer long.
- Canned tomatoes – $.58 at my store.
- Zucchini – should hit under $.50/lb several times throughout the summer.
- Chicken – please don’t pay more than $.99/lb for a package of bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks. Or $2.99/lb if you’re buying organic chicken.
Let me know what you think about this perfect summer meal. Don’t want to bake it and heat up the kitchen…grill the chicken and grill the veggies in a grill basket. The smokiness from the grill will only add to the perfection!
- 1 small package drumsticks about 1.5 lbs
- 1 small package bone-in chicken thighs about 2 lbs
- 3 small zucchinis, sliced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings
- Salt and pepper
- Rice, as side dish
- Preheat oven to 400. Lightly spray 2 9x13 inch baking dishes, or 1 large baking/roasting dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the chicken pieces in the baking dishes. Add the zucchini slices and diced tomatoes around the chicken. Add a few garlic cloves throughout. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the chicken and vegetables. Season with the Italian seasonings and salt and pepper.
- Place the baking dish(es) into the preheated oven and roast for 55 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice or other preferred side dish.
- Serve the Roasted Chicken with Zucchini, Tomatoes and Garlic with side of rice.