Last weekend I accidentally made this for breakfast…and I couldn’t not share the recipe. It was a total experiment…and I didn’t think it would work. There was just a few raspberries left in one of the freezer baggies (trying to be creative with my $1 raspberries!), so I thought I’d give this a whirl…
- 5 eggs ($.50)
- 1/2 cup milk or rice milk ($.10 or $.20)
- 2 tsp vanilla ($.20) (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- about 15 raspberries ($.40)
- 10 slices whole wheat bread ($.50)
- Butter ($.20)
- Powdered Sugar ($.25)
- 4 bananas ($.40)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Add thawed raspberries and whisk into the eggs/milk mixture. (I smooshed them up with the back of a spoon in an attempt to "spread the flavor about."
- Dip each side of each slice of bread in egg/milk/raspberry mixture and place on electric griddle or into a skillet. Let cook about 2-3 minutes on each side. (Time will depend on the heat of your skillet.) Flip and cook on the other side. Repeat for all the bread slices.
- Serve with Raspberry Vanilla French Toast with butter and powdered sugar and bananas.
Note: We did eat this for breakfast, but it would make a DELICIOUS “breakfast for dinner.”