At this point, we’re just throwing things together…a little of this from the freezer with a little of that from the pantry! But I must say…this is a WINNER!!!
(You know it’s a winner when you arrive at the dinner table half full because you’ve been sneaking bites from the skillet!)
- Please excuse the t-shirt and sweatpants (just keepin’ it real)
- Sorry about the sci-fi alien lights in the background…will explain those soon
- I apologize if the spinning skillet makes you dizzy
- And finally, forgive the loud saute noise…I’ll learn to talk louder!
Pantry (Rotel + Onions) + Freezer (Brown Rice + Black Beans + Pinto Beans + Holiday Ham) = Ranchero Black and Pinto Beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups leftover ham, diced
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 10 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lb garden green beans
- Cook black and pinto beans. (Because they take so long to cook, I prefer to cook these in large batches and freeze them in 2 cup portions.)
- Thaw ham and beans. Dice ham. Chop onion.
- Add oil to skillet, then add onion and ham. Toss in partially or completely thawed beans. Add can of Rotel, undrained. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Steam garden green beans for 4-5 minutes in microwave.
- Thaw brown rice in microwave. (Just like the beans, I prefer to cook up a big batch of brown rice and freeze in 3 cup portions…enough for our family!)
- Serve Ranchero Black and Pinto Beans over Rice with Green Beans.