Anytime I can, I try to use fresh ingredients! Especially from my (little) garden! I have dreams of a large bountiful garden…and years to make that dream come true!
Quesadillas with Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 1 bag tortillas ($1.29)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (or leftover chicken from crockpot meal) ($2 or free!)
- 1 cup cheese, shredded ($.83)
- 2 Corn Cobs ($.50)
- 1/2 cup dried black beans, uncooked ($.15)
- 1 Tomato, diced (Free from garden!) or 1/2 cup salsa ($.50)
- 1 T Vinegar (whichever you prefer)
- 1 T Oil (whichever you prefer)
- Salt & Pepper
- Soak beans overnight. Cook with lots of water on low for 2 hours or until tender. If you are in a rush, add a pinch of baking soda to speed up the cooking of the bean! When done cooking, rinse beans in cool water.
- Shuck and boil corn cobs. Pull out and let cool. Cut off kernels. Mix with black beans, vinegar, oil, S/P. Add diced tomato or salsa. Chill or serve at room temp.
- Place tortilla flat on lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and shredded chicken, then fold in half. Repeat until all the tortillas and filled and on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 6 to 7 minutes, flipping once halfway through. It will be ready when cheese has melted through and tortilla is crispy and golden.