Erin’s Favorite Holiday Pie – Pumpkin Double Chocolate Cheesecake
I have to share this recipe with you. And you have to make it.
Many years ago, I created this recipe…and will be making it for the third year in a row (in 2010).
Half of this pie is reserved for me…everyone else gets a sliver.
Maybe not. *snort*
I love the pumpkin and chocolate flavors together.
Plus I love creamy, smooth pies and cheesecakes.
So a pie with a thin layer of mini-chocolate chips, then a chocolate cheesecake layer with a pumpkin pie layer on top…Sends me straight on into pie heaven.
This is definitely my favorite ALL-TIME holiday pie! I’ve made it every year for the past 9 years!
Pumpkin Double Chocolate Cheesecake Pie
- 9-inch pie plate
- pie crust shield
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup shortening or butter
- 2 Tbsp cold water (2-4 Tbsp)
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 5 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 egg
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- To prepare homemade pie crust, place flour in mixing bowl; add butter and cut in with pastry blender. Add salt and then add cold water 1 Tablespoon at a time. Mix and toss ingredients together with a fork until dough ball forms. Place in plastic wrap or Ziploc baggie and put into the refrigerator while you make the filling. Pie crust can be made up to a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, cocoa and egg.
- In another mixing bowl, beat together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and pumpking pie spice mix. Whisk in the eggs.
- Once filling is prepared, take the dough ball from the fridge and place on lightly floured surface.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the crust dough into a circle at least 12 inches in diameter and gently fold pie crust into quarters. Move the folded pie crust from the counter to the pie plate.
- Unfold in the pie plate. Flute edges in your favorite design.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips in the base of the pie shell.
- Spread the cream cheese filling over top of the chocolate chips, then pour the pumpkin filling on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Bake at 375 for 60 to 70 minutes, or until filling has set in the middle. Use a pie crust shield, or foil to keep the crust edges from burning.
- Let cool completely on cooling rack. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill.
- Serve Pumpkin Double Chocolate Cheesecake, chilled.